ATV/UTV Insurance Quote

Please enter your information below to get started.

Insuring a UTV is similar to insuring a car. You have a rate, a deductible, and coverages for various things like property damage and bodily injuries. The key difference is that a street legal UTV needs to be specifically endorsed and covered for on-road use. You must ensure that your insurance policy covers your UTV for on-road use. If a street legal endorsement is not present, you are only covered for off-road use or incidental road use at best. Some companies might not phrase it that way, but if you ask for a street legal endorsement you’ll take the conversation in the right direction either way. This is far and away the most important aspect of street legal UTV insurance and the one that’s most often overlooked. Make sure to review your documents and confirm that your vehicle is covered for full road use with a street legal endorsement.

What is incidental road use coverage?

Some companies offer incidental road use coverage for quick things like crossing roads when you’re using trails. You don’t want that unless that’s all you need, but if you call an insurance company and say “I want to insure my UTV for road use,” they might assume that’s what you mean, so be sure to clarify if that happens.

Do I need insurance at all?

If you only have localized street legality, like the kind you get with a town or county permit, your local laws might let you get by with just incidental coverage – or even no coverage at all. This is typically the case in situations where you can only use a handful of roads, can only drive during certain hours, or can only use public roads for limited distances.

Anything beyond that almost always requires on-road insurance, and it’s a good thing to have even if it isn’t required. If your UTV has a license plate, you need full road use coverage with a street legal endorsement – not incidental road use coverage. Hey! Be sure to say the magic words: “UTV insurance with a street legal endorsement”

How much does street legal UTV insurance cost?

The cost of insuring a street legal UTV is usually closer to a motorcycle than a car. The exact rate will depend on personal factors like credit history, driving record, and even your zip code, but if you’ve insured a roadgoing motorcycle recently you should have a solid idea of what to expect.

Does my insurance need to match the state where I live or the state where my vehicle is registered?

Street legal UTV insurance coverage needs to match the state where you live, not the state where the vehicle is registered. This is because each state has unique minimum requirements that all roadgoing vehicles must meet. Some states also have special caveats like requiring you to insure a vehicle when it’s in storage or in an undrivable condition.

What will my coverage actually look like?

When you look at the nuts and bolts of street legal UTV insurance, it’s usually the same sort of coverage you would get for a car, truck, or motorcycle. Bodily injury, uninsured motorist, flexible deductibles… it’s all pretty familiar, really. The big variable is how your UTV is registered. If it’s in Montana or South Dakota it will likely be considered a motorcycle for insurance purposes even though you don’t need a motorcycle license to operate it.

If you’re street legal through another state or on a localized basis, your policy might function a little differently. One common thread will be the same: your UTV needs to be insured for full road use with a street legal endorsement. If it isn’t, you can’t go on the road.

How does insurance work with an out-of-state LLC?

Registering your UTV under an LLC in another state essentially makes that business the owner of the vehicle instead of you. If you went this route or are considering it, there are some unique insurance aspects that apply to you.

For insurance purposes, anyone making a claim on a vehicle must have an insurable interest in it – in other words, they must own it or otherwise have a financial stake in it – and that includes an LLC. To this end, the LLC is usually added as an additional interest on the policy to establish the tie between you, the LLC, and the UTV you are insuring.

Although insurance companies aren’t willing to put this sort of thing in writing ,we have on good authority that your claim will not be denied just because your vehicle is registered to an out-of-state LLC.

What happens if I get pulled over?

Let’s be real: your UTV looks like it could climb a mountain and it’s sitting in traffic next to a Toyota Camry. Most people have no idea you can legally do that, and that includes a lot of police officers. If you get pulled over driving a street legal UTV, the officer probably just wants to make sure you aren’t doing anything illegal. They will most likely check your license, registration, and insurance to make sure everything is right, and that’s usually all that happens.